Much more than an accent color, decorative pillows have come into their own as one of the least expensive and most cost-effective ways to personalize furniture and change a home’s décor. With more open floor plans today—and fewer walls to hang art on—they can also be conversation starters.
“The perfect scarf or bracelet can turn an ordinary outfit into an extraordinary one,” says Kris Woodcock, VP of Merchandising for Ashley Furniture. “In the same way, the perfect combination of toss pillows can turn an ordinary room into a showstopper.”
Many exciting new pillow trends are making their debut, from couture, nubby and boldly-patterned choices, to a bolder mix of pillow styles together. But how do you mix and match decorative toss pillows to create a look that’s right for you?
Below are some rules to follow:
1. DON’T use cheap-looking pillows! Nothing ruins a good-looking sofa more than dated or poor quality pillows, while nothing transforms an inexpensive sofa more than high-quality, fashion-forward toss pillows.
2. DO match the mood of your pillows to the mood of your sofa. Choose toss pillows the same way you chose your sofa—based on your lifestyle and tastes. Use dressy pillows with a dressy sofa; casual pillows with a casual sofa.
3. DON’T use pillows that are duller, or a lot lighter than the sofa. There’s an exception to every rule, but decorators agree that decorative pillows look best when they’re darker, brighter or bolder than the sofa.
4. DO use pillows in a similar style. For an elegant look, stick with satiny or faux-fur fabrics. For a global look, stick with earthy or exotic fabrics. For a modern look, stick with bright or geometric fabrics.
5. DON’T use pillows too big (or too small) for the sofa. Large throw pillows on a small sofa will make it look even smaller. Small pillows (or too few of them) on a large sofa will look dwarfed.
6. DO use toss pillows with related colors. Forget about fancy color theories. Simply choose pillow colors with something in common, such as hues all inspired by a country landscape or a summer fruit salad.
7. DON’T feel compelled to use the pillows that came with your sofa. Factory pillow choices are intended to appeal to as many people as possible rather than to personal tastes. Be different!
8. DO mix patterns and textures. Choose pillows that look like they came from the same place or era, then mix nubby with smooth. To mix patterns, simply repeat the colors in each decorative pillow, while differentiating the pattern’s motif or scale.
9. DON’T play it too safe! Be bold with memorable colors or textures.
Courtland Building Company would love to help you plan your green home, call us today: (281) 932-4494
Visit our website: www.courtlandbuildingcompany.com Follow Us on Facebook – Twitter – LinkedIn